Wednesday, 15 January 2014

Very Pink!

My sister got me some wool tops for Christmas. Even before I'd seen the colours, I'd decided I'd make her a book cover from whatever she chose, thinking she'd probably choose her favourites. She chose a selection of pinks, not the colours I would have chosen for her, but pinks it is :)  I Picked out some shades I already had that I thought would work with them, I already had a salmon pink, some cerisey purple, reds, maroons and a nice lemon. Then I started to make some batts with my drum carder.


At first I made up some batts without any other fibres blended in, I'll use these for the bottom layer which will be inside the book cover. I split them in half lengthways after I'd made them, then rolled them up.


This is one of the lighter batts before I split it and rolled it:


I used some soy top, viscose, a small amount of banana fibre, black bamboo and dyed silk tops to blend in to make the batts for the top.


I rolled these ones a bit differently:


I picked some fabrics to embellish the surface with, some silk strips, organza, dyed cotton gauze and some synthetic lacey stuff I bought years ago which looks like it might be meant for tying back net curtains. In the 70's :)


I picked a few more embellishments too. Some silk throwster's waste, dyed bamboo fibre, commercial art yarns and fibres taken from unpicked yarns.


I'll show you more pictures when I've started to make it :)

8 comments:

  1. They are really pretty shades of pink Zed and with all those embellishments it will make a gorgeous book cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the carded batts Zed, can't wait to see how you incorporate fabrics and threads...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So looking forward to see what you will do with these!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last photo of batts and the last photo of embellishments are scrummy - looking forward to seeing your sister's book cover.

    ReplyDelete