Tuesday 29 September 2015

Felted Knitting

I did get around to felting the two knitted samples I made. I felted them the same way I'd usually wet felt, not through the washing machine. The piece I made with the hand blended and handspun yarn doesn't look too much different, but it is duller and fluffier:


It did keep some texture:


This is a close up:


This is how it looked before:


The pencil roving knitted piece was much nicer and easier to felt. It grew quite a bit and flattened out quite a lot:


It was quite chunky before, this is after felting, looking over the surface:


And how it looked before:


It didn't lose all its texture:


And a closer look:


It felted really neatly, but I'm not sure I'll find a use for felted knitted pencil roving :)

2 comments:

  1. A lot of people think felting is knitting first then chucking it in the washing machine.
    I suppose the pencil roving could be knitted up into a bag then felted? It did keep its lovely texture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't know what they use or how many times they wash it, but stuff I've knitted and washed has come out looking the same. The pencil roving felt a lot thinner and more 'delicate after felting, it was chunky and firm before, but if someone knows what they're doing, I'm sure a bag would look great :)

    ReplyDelete