Tuesday 9 September 2014

A Bit Of Colour

I thought I'd do some colourful pieces this week. The last time I ordered from World of Wool, I got some dyed Shetland wool tops, and some dyed 18.5 mic Merino. I used the dyed Shetland tops for this first piece, and a variety of cellulose fibres that I dyed a while ago, using rosiepink's tutorial. I think I used Bamboo, Banana, Ramie, Flax, Hemp and Viscose, and there are a few wisps of soybean top too.


I didn't add the fibres in any particular way, just lay the tops out and added more until the spaces were filled in. Overlapping in some places.


I like this close up, I like the way the fibres appear to be just sitting on top of the wool, which my girlfriend thinks looks like grass.


I wanted to try out some of the 18.5 mic merino, and some crimped nylon before I made a large scarf. I won't be using these colours together, but thought it would help to see them better.


The way the thinner areas of fibre contour the ripples of the felt reminds me of felting with those stringy produce bags that oranges and onions often come in.


I thought this was an unusual contrast, the denser matte nylon around the shiny Merino givess the Merino a synthetic look.


A close up of some of the crimped fibre:


I really liked the way this turned out, I even like the two colours together :)


No comments:

Post a Comment