Friday 26 September 2014

Texture

A while ago I bought a weird fluffy, knitted, tubular scarf from Poundland to try felting with. If you ever buy one, make sure you cut it over a bucket or newspaper or something to catch all the bits! I laid out a couple of layers of very wispy pink Merino tops left over from a book cover I made last year, then I added the piece of scarf, and 2 more wispy layers of wool tops. It didn't take long to felt. This is one side of it:


This is the other side of it:


And this is what it looked like holding it up to the sky:


I don't remember how long after, but I decided the scarf sampler might make a nice sculptural piece similar to one I'd made before. I didn't make it in exactly the same way, I concertina'd it and stitched in place, then twisted and felted and fulled more. This is the top:


Close up of the ridges:


Super Close up of the texture:


This is the back:


Close up of the back:


Super close up of the texture:


I have a lot of this scarf left over, I don't know what I'll do with it, maybe a few more sculptural pieces, maybe one big one. What would you do with 8 square feet of purple fluffy knitted stuff?

2 comments: