Thursday 15 January 2015

Scarves

Just before the end of last year, I made a few scarves that I didn't get chance to post about. The first one was a present for my sister's birthday. I took the inspiration for the colours from a previous scarf I made, which was blue and purple. I blended up equal amounts of blue, purple and green 18.5 mic Merino on my drum carder. I can't remember now how many times I put the batts through, I think it was only once because I wanted random variegation. This is the back of the scarf:


I added some silk top to the front:


And I just like the way this photo looks :)


I used what was left of the batts and added some more blue, purple and green, with a lot more green so I could make a scarf for my dad. You might remember the batt. I used some to make a nuno sample (which is now my nuno collar which I wear when I go out, though it looks more like a foppish cravat). When I weighed it, there wasn't enough for a scarf, so I had to blend up some more Merino. Even though I only needed about 10grams to be on the safe side, I had to recreate the stages of the other one to get a similar blend. I think it's my favourite one so far:


Here's a close up:


One thing I noticed while carding the batts, was that the more the wool/batts were carded, or re-carded, the more I got soft little nepps appearing. I did pick a few out, but it wasn't easy so I left them, hoping they wouldn't be a problem since they were so soft. It might be my imagination because I certainly can't feel them, but there definitely seems to be more texture on this scarf. I think the light here caught it just right:


I liked the way this photos looks too, I'd just casually dropped the scarf on the table nd it folded like this:


3 comments:

  1. Hello Zed. I think the batts you created for your scrafs and your felted scarf are wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colours and the texture (and your edges are so neat!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lyn and Judy :)
    I think it's the edges that take the longest, but once they're done, it's just a bit of rubbing left to do!

    ReplyDelete