I pulled off some of the tops from each shade:
Then I looked through my embellishment fibres for some I thought would make a nice match. I chose Soybean top, viscose top and flax.
I added some of each fibre to the Shetland tops:
Then I blended them by hand:
I got a couple of my spindles out, this is one I made and painted a few years ago:
I made a small amount of thread, though even a small amount of wool and fibres goes a long way when spinning thread. This is it wound around the spindle.
Then I blended up some more Shetland and fibres and spun a thicker yarn. I will probably use the yarn in a wet felting project, though I have used them for needlefelting before.
Do have a look at Marchi's photostream if you have time, her work is amazing and inspiring :)