Wednesday 18 September 2013

Fabric Notebook Cover and Studio Challenge

I've finally made a start on a couple of pieces for Karen's 3rd Quarter Mixed Media Challenge on The Felting and Fiber Studio site. I chose two different types of background, the first one is a 7 x 5 inch art board, I think it is meant for watercolour paints. These are boards with a textured paper surface.


I covered this with Weldbond glue then added some cotton scrim, I added some Golden gel medium and added some more scrim, making creases, gathers and folds. Then I covered it in Gesso.


The next background is hardboard, the same kind of thing pegboard for workshops is made out of. I got some 8 x 6 inch pieces cut years ago for making polymer clay mosaics.


I covered this in Weldbond glue, added a layer of scrim, then glued another layer of scrim on top. I covered this in Gesso too. They are both almost dry, waiting for me to forget to finish them ;)


I finished another fabric collage notebook cover last week. This is a small A6 one. This is the front:


And this is the back:


I used some flowery fabric to line the inside, and used the sewing machine to attach the flaps, then hand-stitched blanket stitch around all the edges.


It's probably not quite as effective as zig-zagging with the machine, but it's helps stop the fabric fraying.

4 comments:

  1. The cover looks great zed, I like the crazy patchwork look and i'm looking forward to seeing what you make with the boards xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kaz :)
      I think I'll work more on the boards tomorrow :)

      Delete
  2. Do love your fabric collage book covers. They're kind of great textures.

    ReplyDelete